[ale] write to stderr via javascript?

Thu Aug 6 12:38:02 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Geoffrey<lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
> Matt Rideout wrote:
>> What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to have the client
>> trigger something that logs to stderr on the server side?
>
> Unfortunately, yes.

Well, that's easy then, but not likely to be useful. You could use
AJAX methodology to access an API that you could create that writes to
/dev/stderr. But, stderr,  like stdin or stdout is process specific.
Since your web server is likely to be running as a daemon, I don't
know that you would ever know that the write happened.

Why not take a step back and instead of trying to get help
implementing your chosen solution, let us help you with your existing
problem. Can you tell us more about the problem you are trying to
solve? Since this is now a server side issue, can you tell us what
languages/frameworks you have at your disposal? (eg. PHP,
Python/Django, Ruby/Rails, ASP/GunInMouth, etc.)

--
.!# RichardBronosky #!.