[ale] list pkgs installed since os install?

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 08:59:56 EDT 2009

Jim Kinney wrote:

> With RH/fedora systems rpm -qa will list all installed packages.
>
> Hmm. Rereading the question I see you want to know what has been done
> _since_ the install. With RH systems there is a file called
> anaconda-ks.cfg that has the list of installed packages. rpm -qa and
> diff against the filelist from the install list will show the add-ons
> but not what has been upgraded.

kinda along the same lines, if you had used dpkg and "get selections"
when you first installed the system you could do the same now and run
diff against the files.

now if the point is to have another computer 'just like yours' as far as
packages installed/uninstalled then you could:

on the source computer via terminal:
dpkg --get-selections >selections.txt

then on the destination computer:
apt-get update
dpkg --set-selections <selections.txt
apt-get dselect-upgrade

just be sure your sources.list are the same on both machines and
whatever you installed or uninstalled will be done to the destination
computer.

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/