[ale] list pkgs installed since os install?

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Thu Aug 6 07:38:51 EDT 2009

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On Wed August 5 2009, Tim Watts wrote:
>> Anyone know of a way to list all packages installed on a system (Kubuntu
>> 8.10) since the OS was installed? It doesn't seem possible to do this based
>> on the info apt keeps. Have I missed something?
>
> http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/
> What is APTonCD?
>
> APTonCD is a tool with a graphical interface which allows you to create one or
> more CDs or DVDs (you choose the type of media) with all of the packages
> you've downloaded via APT-GET or APTITUDE, creating a removable repository
> that you can use on other computers.
> APTonCD will also allow you to automatically create media with all of
> your .deb packages located in one especific repository, so that you can
> install them into your computers without the need for an internet conection.

I have had great success doing this manually. I've got a bunch of "kiosk"
like machines that will never see a 'net connection.
First burn the .debs to a cd or USB drive,
then change their sources.list file to be:

deb file:/media/disk/ intrepid main restricted
deb file:/media/cdrom/ intrepid main restricted

and then run the dpkg install command for the debs
from a shell script on the media like:

dpkg -i ./starcupsdrv_2.3.0-0ubuntu1_i386.deb