[ale] Can not burn DVD+R/RW

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Aug 3 12:41:31 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 09:32 -0400, Chris Fowler wrote:
> I just upgraded a CentOS 5.2 to 5.3 and I can no longer burn + media.

> Here is a message in cdrecord

> cdrecord: Found DVD+ media but DVD+R/DVD+RW support code is missing.
> cdrecord: If you need DVD+R/DVD+RW support, ask the Author for
> cdrecord-ProDVD.
> cdrecord: Free test versions and free keys for personal use are at
> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/
> cdrecord: Sorry, no CD/DVD-Recorder or unsupported CD/DVD-Recorder found
> on this target.
> Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-ROM driver (mmc_cd).

	The author of the cdrtools / cdrecord package is ...  [sigh, I won't
say it] ... just being himself.  There's a long history of disputes over
licensing and interfaces and attitude between him and the rest of the
community going back years.

	On Fedora, at least, "cdrecord" is from the "wodim" package, aka
cdrkit.  In fact, on Fedora, cdrecord is nothing but a symlink to wodim.
But that's not in the CentOS repos.

	From the cdrkit site:

===
> Derived from the various programs distributed in the cdrtools suite,
> cdrkit aims to maintain interface compatibility with those tools. The
> cdrecord program has been renamed to wodim ("write optical disk
> media") so that users will not confuse it with the original cdrecord,
> which is still maintained by its author, Jörg Schilling. wodim, and
> the other programs distributed with cdrkit, will retain a user
> interface compatible with the corresponding programs from the cdrtools
> 2.01.01a08 release, at least for the near future. Thus, front-end
> programs, such as GUI-based CD writer applications, should be able to
> use cdrkit merely by substituting the name "wodim" for the name
> "cdrecord".
===

	You could always grab the source rpm from Fedora and build it
yourself.  :-)

> The burn will happen and the DVD looks as if it worked.  When I insert
> the DVD back into a computer it appears blank.

> I'm pretty sure I was burning +RW before I did the upgrade.  Am I
> missing a package?

	For + media on CentOS you might also try this package instead:

	dvd+rw-tools

	It's in the CentOS base repository.

> Thanks,
> Chris