[ale] Picking a home paper / photo printer

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 23:09:20 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 10:39 PM, Pat Regan<thehead at patshead.com> wrote:
> Jim Kinney wrote:
>> Lastly, if you need to leave the printer off for a week or so, pull
>> the print heads out and put them separately in a zip lock bag with a
>> bit of alcohol moistened paper in it.
>
> That sounds like way too much effort :)

Yep. That's why I have a networked Brother color laser printer. I
don't print photos and my wife just uses the one at the drug store
down the street. Inkjet does a better job of photos than laser print
and the paper selection is wider. The only thing I can't do is print
onto a CD. I did find some clear, glossy CD labels that I can run
through the laser printer but most of my CD label needs can be done
with a sharpie.  :-)

> I'll stick to my dirt cheap sub-100 dollar Samsung mono laser printer.
> I get reams and reams of pages out of a single toner cartridge and I can
> leave it sit unused for months and months without worrying about
> anything drying up.
>
> For the few times I have to print photos, I can mail order the prints.
> They do a better job printing than I would, they're less effort than me
> printing them myself, and they cost less than what I'd probably have to
> pay for ink.
>
> Pat

James P. Kinney III