[ale] Anyone looking for a new gig?

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Sep 30 17:34:51 EDT 2008

Jim Kinney wrote:

> Just so everyone is aware: C# is not a linux skill. Neither is .NET or
> SQL-server.

I do embedded type stuff now.  I'm a believer that a good embedded platform
matches up with a good server platform.  Both platforms we run obviously
are Linux based.   Our customers are clueless about Linux but we've
fixed that by creating web interfaces to configure the server.  We
don't even give them CLI login and passwords.  The reason we run
Linux on the server are many but one good one is support.  It is much easier
for our support individuals connect to these servers and help customers.
We also have  reporting system that allows these boxes to communicate
back home.  While all this is possible in Windows, it would have been a
much bigger investment writing solutions for Windows to mimic the
functionality we have today.

Our software is web based so there is no reason to run it on Windows. Apache
and tomcat do just fine on Linux.