[ale] Problems with DSL

mute wonder mutewonder at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 11:53:46 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Jim Lynch
<ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:
> Thanks, I didn't try any other Puppies.  I figured if the latest didn't
> work, why worry about the others.  Besides, I really need the modem
> support so with two things not working, I decide to go somewhere else.
> I know most of the specs for the system.
>
> JIm.

Oh, Neomagic.  That's given trouble on a few machines I installed
Linux on.  Googling "neomagic linux" led to a lot of guides, many of
which were unfortunately obsolete with regards to how well Neomagic
works with modern Linux distros.  In the end, installing a
SVGA-compatible xserver helped on a Neomagic NM2070, together with a
mess of other fixes (seemingly for stuff that I'd broken myself while
trying to get X to work :/ ).  Also, Xorg's "neomagic" driver with the
correct monitor specs and a lower resolution helped on a Neomagic
NM2200.  Essentially, the X auto-configurators rarely got it right.
Be ready to boot to CLI, and fiddle with things carefully between X
test-runs.