[ale] Awk as a programming language

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Fri Sep 19 22:28:06 EDT 2008

2008/9/19 Chris Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>:
> Here is something I'm thinking about today.   Does awk merit a spot on a
> resume?

It depends on your audience.  I tend to tune my resume for
the people I expect to be reading it.

A UNIX guru would probably be impressed to see awk there
because even if it doesn't indicate that you were scripting
before perl, etc., were around, it does indicate that you appreciate
the value of a good old-school tool.  (Although for balance it
would be nice to have ruby or something else new as well.)

An "Enterprise" boss would probably think you were just
stupid to waste your time with such stuff when there's
C# now.  I mean, many bosses won't recognize awk or at
least wouldn't recognize the value of awk expertise.

--
 Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>