[ale] good to know

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon Sep 15 09:09:02 EDT 2008

I stopped reading at "somehow 'couldn't have foreseen' and 'confident it
won't happen again' don't fit well together".  That shows me the author
doesn't know what he is talking about.

There are on occasion odd intersections of technologies that cause
glitches but once you've seen them you usually know how to prevent them
(or have already put something in place that prevents them from
occurring again).   I recall one odd incident I saw a few years back
where a bug in HP-UX NFSv3 was triggered by a quirk in the way a 3rd
party app had been compiled originally.   There was no way we could have
foreseen such an event until it had happened but I guaran-damn-tee you
it never happened to us again.