[ale] No sound in X but sound at the console?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 01:10:08 EDT 2008

Okay, this one has me stumped. I can do `cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp`
or `alsaplay some.wav` at the console to get sound. As root or a sound
privileged user, it doesn't matter. When I start an X session, again,
as root or as a sound privileged user, I can do the same exact thing
and get no sound. To illustrate:

2) `alsaplay test.wav` = sound
3) `xinit`
4) `alsaplay test.wave` = no sound

Notice, there wasn't a logout. Anyone have any ideas what could be
causing this? I am totally baffled.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/