[ale] OT: Symantec subscription'Nag' screen

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 16:43:14 EDT 2008

While my instantaneous response is like Aarons (Nuke it and repave with
ANYTHING but mickey$oft!!) you actually can use the add/remove applications
and remove all the addon crap. I have ZERO respect for Norton's virus crap
and instead highly recommend the outragous sum of $50 and get a copy of
f-prot (www.f-prot.com). There are rumors that the trial versions are
crippleware and a drive failure later will require that you start by
erloading the trialware version then the upgrades...

Also be sure to block that machine from access the Internet at your firewall
for anything except antivirus updates and you will have a reasonably safe
machine :-)  (once you block the use of IE in all perversions, as well as
OutBreak in all mutations and every form of multimedia player pustulently
oozed from Redmond).

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 8:53 AM, John Mills <johnmills at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> ALErs -
>
> A H-P Vista desktop has joined the family and (so far) does what is
> expected of it. Naturally I had to toss out a bunch of apps that screamed
> "Buy Me!" from time to time, but I've been grinding my teeth about one of
> those I have kept, and would appreciate some pointers.
>
> The Symantec/Norton anti-virus installation claims to have two parts: one
> permanently licensed, even updatable, and the other "anti-phishing"
> protection which had a 30-day update subscription. This subscription has
> now expired.
>
> Every day or so I get a "nag" screen recommending I renew the
> subscription, with only two options in the pull-down: 'Renew Now' and
> "Remind Me Later'. *(__)$$##(*&^!!
>
> I would like to dump the anti-phishing and its nag, and keep the long-term
> AV part installed. I haven't turned up any clear answers on net searches,
> nor (naturally) from Symantec.
>
> Does anyone know how to accomplish this?
>
> TIA.
>
>  - Mills

James P. Kinney III