[ale] off the shelf NAS for school with Linux, Mac and Windoz PCs

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Sep 8 10:38:03 EDT 2008

Daniel Howard wrote:
> Yes that was my first choice too, but I'm looking for an off the shelf
> solution that even school IT folks who don't know anything about Linux
> can implement and manage later on.  Brian Pitts comment about different
> versions of NAS boxes supporting Active Directory is good for off the
> shelf solutions.

I wonder if there is a middle ground here. Do you think a system like
FreeNAS [0] or OpenFiler [1] would be a good fit for school users? Both
have a comprehensive web interface. Even the cheapest workstation or
server will probably be more expensive than a single-disk NAS appliance
though.

[0] http://www.freenas.org
[1] http://www.openfiler.com

-Brian