[ale] public dns servers - PUBLIC vs OPENDNS

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Sun Sep 7 17:09:39 EDT 2008

I'm wondering why the OP wouldn't use the ISP's DNS servers?

That is to say the only time I need a "public DNS" server is when I'm
wanting to check lookups against those I'm already doing.  (And of
course on the job I have my own DNS servers that do recursive lookups to
the root servers if I'm not authoritative for them.)   Your ISP
typically provides you IP and DNS servers with your DHCP setup - even if
you go with static IP I'm assuming they'd let you use them for your
lookups.