[ale] Comcast Caps Data at 250G/Month

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Sat Sep 6 15:02:20 EDT 2008

Scott Castaline wrote:
> How does one know when they reach their limit? Are there any sftwe out
> there that meters an individuals traffic volume (up & down) readily
> available to the typical end user? Or are you subject to what the
> provider says is your amount of traffic without any recourse? If the
> move is for the industry to place individual caps then shouldn't they
> provide some sort of client metering so that the user could self monitor
> where they are in the scale of traffic load and available left. Also if
> you only use 125GB for the month will the left over 125GB roll-over?
> That would allow the next month 375GB, I don't think so. Back to client
> metering sftwe, if the ISP is obligated to provide it for free (as I
> think they should) are we back to the same ole crap of M$ support only
> so anyone else is at the mercy of the ISP? Oh well I hope this reply
> doesn't get anyone cut off because they went over their limit.

You don't know when you reach your limit unless you track it yourself.
The vast majority of customers are unaffected.  Comcast just wants a
clear reason to cut off the people who are taxing their network.
They've been cutting off heavy users for a very long time already.  The
only change is that it is actually now specifically quantified in the
terms of service.

Why don't we complain about this kind of metering on our cell phones?  :)