[ale] Comcast Caps Data at 250G/Month

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Sat Sep 6 13:04:42 EDT 2008

Pat Regan wrote:

> Even in that case, are they likely to hit 250 GB transferring legal
> content?  Even if you are a good citizen in the torrent community and
> share everything at a 2:1 ratio you're 'only' going to use 3 times the
> bandwidth per media file.  Movies tend to be 700 meg.  We can call that
> 2 gig per movie.  How many people are pirating over 100 movies per month?
>

> Pat
How does one know when they reach their limit? Are there any sftwe out
there that meters an individuals traffic volume (up & down) readily
available to the typical end user? Or are you subject to what the
provider says is your amount of traffic without any recourse? If the
move is for the industry to place individual caps then shouldn't they
provide some sort of client metering so that the user could self monitor
where they are in the scale of traffic load and available left. Also if
you only use 125GB for the month will the left over 125GB roll-over?
That would allow the next month 375GB, I don't think so. Back to client
metering sftwe, if the ISP is obligated to provide it for free (as I
think they should) are we back to the same ole crap of M$ support only
so anyone else is at the mercy of the ISP? Oh well I hope this reply
doesn't get anyone cut off because they went over their limit.