[ale] Comcast Caps Data at 250G/Month

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Sat Sep 6 03:23:05 EDT 2008

Forsaken wrote:
> 250 gigs a month is fairly generous.... right now. My only worry is
> that they won't move with the technology and increase the cap when
> it's needed.

If they don't move the cap in the future and it become uncomfortable
people will just jump ship to another ISP.  Comcast is going to need
some upgrades to keep competitive with FIOS.  :)

> And this is going to totally suck for folks with families. If you're a
> geek with 2 teenagers and a wife, 250 gigs for the entire household is
> nothing

Even in that case, are they likely to hit 250 GB transferring legal
content?  Even if you are a good citizen in the torrent community and
share everything at a 2:1 ratio you're 'only' going to use 3 times the
bandwidth per media file.  Movies tend to be 700 meg.  We can call that
2 gig per movie.  How many people are pirating over 100 movies per month?

> But hey maybe they'll lose enough customers that their network won't
> be so loaded and they won't need to traffic shape anymore!

Once they start they won't want to stop unless they have to.  :)

Pat