[ale] Nvidia prepares to cut ties with some partners

Reggie Euser reggie at busicast.com
Fri Sep 5 11:22:20 EDT 2008

A bit off-topic, but speaking of Nvidia...

Two days ago, I foolishly allowed the auto-updater on my office desktop
machine attempt to install XP's "Service Pack 3". The machine vapor-locked,
rebooted spontaneously, and barfed up the message that my Nvidia driver was
wrong. Rebooting in "Safe" mode, I dutifully updated the driver and
attempted to re-boot, only to get into a boot-crash-reboot loop. After a
number of other futile attempts to salvage the machine, it finally quit
booting at all - no access to BIOS, nothing. In despair, I walked away and
took comfort from an old *nix box, faithfully humming in a corner...

By sheer coincidence, yesterday I had to kill time waiting for a meeting and
wandered into a hole-in-the-wall computer repair shop. The guy running the
place told me he'd had seven different customers' machines brought in in the
last 2 days, all having crashed after the owners attempted the SP-3 install.
He was just wiping their disks & reinstalling from scratch, a solution I was
loathe to contemplate.

Later on, I had a hunch and swapped out my Nvidia-based card for an older
Nvidia-based card cannibalized from a spare box. Huzzah! The machine
rebooted normally. Apparently, SP-3 had somehow fried my video card.
Googling later confirmed that others had suffered the same fate.

Moral of the story:  If you're required to use XP for whatever reason, be
_very_ careful about the updates...and if you have a choice, run, don't walk
to a *nix based desktop environment that almost never comes with an
automatic fry-your-system feature...

Nvidia prepares to cut ties with some partners
http://www.techspot.com/news/31498-nvidia-prepares-to-cut-ties-with-some-partners.html