[ale] Recent events with RH/Fedora servers.

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Wed Sep 3 09:48:14 EDT 2008

Jason Fritcher wrote:
> On Sep 2, 2008, at 3:46 PM, Jeff Lightner wrote:
>> Well it could be that it affects Fedora (because of its tie in to
>> RedHat
>> - I think the Fedora repository servers are at RedHat but wouldn't
>> swear
>> to it).
>>
>> It could also be that it affects CentOS if the user signed the source
>> RPMs as CentOS is compiled from those.
>>
>> However, I think it most likely that people just ASSUMED it affected
>> everything related to RedHat like Fedora and CentOS because of
>> misinformation that some sort of global hack occurred to RedHat
>> servers.
>> The link I posted makes it clear it wasn't that broad.
>
> I can't remember if this has been posted previously here, but the
> following link is to an email posted to the fedora-announce mailing
> list giving a report on the fedora side of the house.
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2008-August/msg00012.html

That sounds more like what I was originally seeing. Later on however I
started seeing things that painted a bleaker picture. Just like a
support person at a local retail national chain stating that the Open
Source Community is made up of a bunch of garage shop jocks, unlike the
professional grade operation of M$. Just more FUD from a M$bot or drone.