[ale] OT: Cheap Laptop w/o shared RAM

Courtney Thomas courtneycthomas at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 19 14:21:33 EST 2008

I have a Dell Latitude C810 wtih the maximum RAM installed, which I believe is 512MB, Pentium III 133 mhz, 16 MB video RAM, 20 Gig HD w/5 Gig free.

Does this mean it does not have shared video ram and will increasing video ram from 16 to 32 MB significantly speed up this machine ?

 It seems to be incessantly paging stuff back and forth to the HD. Are there settings that will optimize this too ? Will doubling the video RAM significantly improve this activity, as well ?

Thanks for your help,

Courtney