[ale] CDROM mounting question

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Thu Nov 13 13:43:00 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 09:28 -0800, Ken Arromdee wrote:

> I just did a big PC upgrade along with a big Linux upgrade from scratch (from
> Mandrake 10.1 to Mandriva 2009).  I could swear that before this, mount would
> wait a little bit if a disk had just been inserted and not return an error
> immediately, giving it time to recognize that a disk had been inserted.  I
> can't figure out how to get it to behave that way now.

Perhaps it's due to this:

"Previously, the cdrom driver can't differentiate between tray closed w/
no media and tray open and always returned tray open, which triggers
close and retry in the open logic which probably have delayed things
enough to get the media recognized.

Now the cdrom driver can discern between tray closed w/o media and
device not ready for other reasons and returns -ENOMEDIUM on the former.
This is all good and dandy but the problem seems that some drives report
no media right after the tray is closed but it hasn't properly detected
the media yet."

http://markmail.org/message/u7csxr7kkksaacxd

-Brian