[ale] SATA disk naming

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Wed Nov 12 09:24:47 EST 2008

The software RAID (md) puts info on the disks to identify which are part
of the RAID which is why this worked for you.

It is also why they often suggest you use label on simple partions and
refer to those in /etc/fstab instead of the partition names.

Only God knows why they can't just mark the disks at install and keep
track of them in Linux like every other UNIX OS does.   I recall how
frustrated I was when it turned out Solaris would rename tape drives
based on discovery at boot rather than keeping the same name all the
time.  At least they had a way to setup "persistence" in the st.conf.

And I'm old enough that the start of "uuid" makes me think it ought to
have something to do with serial file transfers rather than disk names.