[ale] Photoshop/Crossover/GIMP/Epson1280 Question

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Wed Nov 5 16:17:44 EST 2008

John Mills wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Last place I asked about quality printing from Linux other writers echoed
> your high regard for Linux printer drivers, but I haven't achieved such
> good results on my tests: neither color balance nor range were right, and
> some colors on my test chart were badly mis-rendered. PSE colors _usually_
> just "look right" out of the box (or in this case, the camera).
>
> I'll try 'guten-print'. I _thought_ that was already the driver being used
> by my CUPS installation.

 # lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1
device for Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20R380
Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1 accepting requests since Sun 14 Sep 2008
08:37:57 AM EDT
printer Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1 is idle.  enabled since Sun 14 Sep 2008
08:37:57 AM EDT

works for my newer Epson R380.. I also used it for my older 880.

 dpkg --list|grep -i guten

ii  cups-driver-gutenprint                                  5.0.2-4
                        printer drivers for CUPS
ii  cupsys-driver-gutenprint                                5.0.2-4
                        printer drivers for CUPS
ii  foomatic-db-gutenprint                                  5.0.2-4
                        OpenPrinting printer support - database for
Gutenprint printer d
ii  gimp-gutenprint                                         5.0.2-4
                        print plugin for the GIMP
ii  gutenprint
5.0.2-2lsb3.2                       Gutenprint - Top Quality Printer Drivers
ii  gutenprint-locales                                      5.0.2-4
                        locale data files for Gutenprint
ii  ijsgutenprint                                           5.0.2-4
                        inkjet server - Ghostscript driver for Gutenprint
ii  libgutenprint2                                          5.0.2-4
                        runtime for the Gutenprint printer driver library
ii  libgutenprintui2-1                                      5.0.2-4
                        runtime for the Gutenprint printer driver user
interface library

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800