[ale] recommendations for a..... standalone Linux securityfirewall...

Chris Kleeschulte chris.kleeschulte at it.libertydistribution.com
Wed Nov 5 10:28:43 EST 2008

Courtney:

Thanks for challenging me and informing me. I did not remember that
act. I do recall it now, something in there about paying extra on a
phone bill for people who live out in the sticks :)

Pfsense is, like m00nwall and the others, a self-contained FreeBSD
distro completely configured for use on a PC-based machine, even one
that is low-end. You will need 2 network cards in it. You can
accomplish this cheaply and easily by using a usb version or cheap pci
card. What is neat about pfsense are the packages that one can add
easily from the user interface after booting. The website can give you
details on that. It is quite detailed.

I use pfsense as a transparent proxy and firewall, but most people use
it to SNAT, I suppose. Now nessus is a separate app that scans your
network entities for vulnerabilites against a pretty extensive list of
plugins (it is not a firewall). You can also run it on a cd from
anywhere on your network. I usually run this from my firewall daily. I
chose to install pfsense on a hard disk leaving my cdrom free to run
other things.

Linux kernels have access to iptables and BSD kernel typically use
packet filter (PF), just 2 implementations that similar functionality
(generally). I am more familiar with iptables, but after learning PF,
it is ok too.

Chris