[ale] Setting up dual boot machine

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Fri May 30 21:36:15 EDT 2008

Pete I just went through all this with my dad's PC and I second all of
Robert's motions, especially the prep work and using a second HDD
dedicated to Linux.  But my Dad's PC was so form factor limited, we
couldn't add another internal HDD, so I followed Robert and others'
recommendations here, and got his system to successfully dual boot XP
and Ubuntu.  While virtualization to protect Windoz is a good technique
when they really have to have Win apps, my wife has an Ubuntu-only
machine which she loves, and my Dad has not booted into XP once since we
set up his dual-booter, and it's been several months now.  My Dad has
installed games, Python stuff, and heaven knows what else since he
learned how to do it himself in Ubuntu, and worse (better, actually),
he's converted his keyboard now to Dvorak Classic and is relearning how
to type.  So getting them out of the Windoz environment entirely has
definite benefits as well.

Best,
Daniel

 >Message: 10
 >Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 20:50:47 -0400
 >From: "Pete Hardie" <pete.hardie at gmail.com>
 >Subject: Re: [ale] Setting up dual boot machine
 >Excellent points.  I will look for a second drive this weekend.
(clip)
 >I'm not savvy on virtualization at this point, and then one contact I
had with Xen was when my work desktop would not build Nvidia drivers
b/c I had loaded F8 with xen enabled.  I think I will research that
for a later effort.

--
Daniel Howard
President and CEO