[ale] web page creation app

Robert Reese~ ale at sixit.com
Fri May 30 18:04:04 EDT 2008

> On Fri May 30 2008, Robert Reese~ wrote:
>> Well, learning HTML is a helluva lot easier than learning Linux.
>> Trust me, two hours a day for a week or two and you'll have a
>> good command over the language.
>>
> well, since I've know *NIX for 20+ years :)

Ironically, my first training on programming was on Unix some 25 or so years ago.  Oh, crap...  That's more than a quarter-century!!  Thanks for reminding me of how old I am...

> I did a web page for furtunecity about 10 years ago, on a windows
> platform, using notepad.. I modified it a few years later for
> Bellsouth.. It has folders for vacation pictures, and college
> pictures of our kids. What I want now is similar, almost as easy,
> but folders for pictures, etc for our soon-to-be- grandkid:) I'm
> not a programmer, I don't like pain, but I will try something that
> includes CSS,

I guess you don't need to learn HTML then.  ;cD  By the way, Netscape used to have a pretty good editor embedded in it.  As far as NVU goes, even though it has been abandoned it still does its job very well.  Let's face it: HTML 4.1 has been out without modification for a decade almost.

>I'm not sure javascript is necessary..

Maybe not to start, and maybe not as a "blank-page"  option.  However, you'll definitely find cases where having the ability to modify scripts will be a godsend.  For you, though, you probably have enough experience already to do that; a good reference on the subject by your hand might be sufficient for you.

>> Or, just bypass that and drop a Content Management System on the
>> site.  Wordpress is probably the easiest.  Drupal and others are
>> similar in their ease of installation and use.  Or, if you plan
>> on a heavy-duty system, go with Joomla.  Chances are, your host
>> will already have a "three-click" install.  Never _that_ simple,
>> but you can have it installed and running in under five minutes.
>> Seriously.  Give it a try.
>>
> I thought wordpress was a blogging tool?
> drupal  "and others.." ??
> definitely NOT heavy duty.. my host is amscomputers, mentioned here
> by others.. they have cpanel, I setup the ftp user, but thats as
> far as I 've got.

You don't need heavy-duty.  You simply wanted a quick-and-neat framework to get you started.  Sure, it does blogs spectacularly, but you don't have to use it as a blog. ;c)  Merely use it as a simplified website structure and build from it; the main benefit for bloggers is that adding content is quick, easy, and painless.  That makes it no less of a website framework for your purposes, however.

Since amscomputers have cPanel, check to see if they also have Fantastico.  Whether they do or not, see if they also offer Coppermine or Gallery for your photo management.  If they do have Fantastico then the chances are very high that these photo management tools are available as the standard "three click" install.  Put them on a subdomain and link to them from the main site and viola!

 From what you've said, you really, honestly could get your basic site up the way you want in about 10 minutes using the Wordpress/Drupal+Coppermine/Gallery.

>> If you are interested in learning HTML, do it when you don't feel
>> pressured.  And get a good book on it, like Laura Lemay's book; I
>> consider hers to be the best but YMMV.  Once you have a good grip
>> on it, you'll be much happier with any system you encounter.
>>
> I don't want to make a living doing this, I don't need to learn C++
> for a 2-4 page home web site, I just want to add a few
> pictures,etc..

Then bypass the learning and use the framework stuff.  You'll be done before the beer gets warm!

>> Oh, and no matter what you do, get started on CSS and JavaScript.
>>  You'll find them lifesavers!
>>
> get started?? I could probably steal someones web site that had
> similar content, and substitute my pictures, but I thought it
> wouldn't be TOO big a deal to just create a small web site.. or am
> I dreaming...

Not at all.  In fact, there's plenty of FREE templates and themes out there for the taking; HUNDREDS, possibly thousands of CSS templates and themes!!!!  Knowing CSS means easy customizing if you wanted when you find something *close* but not perfect.

But even better are free CSS themes and templates for Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, and all the CMS systems out there (all of which are CSS-based).  And when you get tired of one, just find another and drop it in.  Heck, you can take an afternoon and find themes/templates for every major holiday, season, event, and so forth to keep your little site interesting for your visitors.  I think there are even script available (cron jobs, maybe?) to make the changes for you automatically.

Seriously, don't waste your time building something from scratch.  Have fun customizing and tricking it out if you want to spend time, otherwise point-and-click your way to something you find attractive yet simple and easy.  As for the CSS and JavaScript, you'll find them invaluable regardless of what route you take.

Cheers,
R~