[ale] /USR vs. /USR/LOCAL

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Thu May 29 16:52:30 EDT 2008

On Thu May 29 2008, Marc Ferguson wrote:
> *What is the difference between /usr and /usr/local?
> *
> I'm very excited that my wife has finally joined the linux community
> (through openSUSE 10.3).  Now that I have to hold her hand for almost
> everything she does with the system, she asks lots of questions and /usr
> vs. /usr/local totally stumps me.  I thought I knew, but trying to explain
> it to her helped me realize that I don't know the difference.  Thanks.

well, I can tell you that I just found out a few differences, and Debian-users
helped me out..
I was trying to figure out why gnupg wouldn't install from Debian, and why it
wouldn't work with kmail. Kmail kept saying the /usr/bin/gnupg wasn't
installed right. well, I had done a source install, and it installed
to /usr/local/bin :)

so I can tell you at least that some source packages ( on Debian..) install
to /usr/local, when the Debian packages install to /usr/bin .

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800