[ale] adding a new HD

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu May 29 16:35:37 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 16:03 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Thu May 29 2008, Brian Pitts wrote:
> > Serial ATA drives use different data and (normally different power
> > connectors than parallel ATA drives. SATA uses one device per cable.
> >
> > It's a little confusing to refer to PATA as IDE, since SATA drives can
> > operate in an IDE emulation mode on motherboards that don't support AHCI.
> >
> > You can buy 750GB SATA drives from various manufacturers for around
> > $120. Here's a link to one of WD's new GP models.
> >
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136150
> >
> > -Brian

> I was just flat amazed. I have not looked at buying a HD for... obviously too
> many years!

> outpost showed this, I thought it was a joke!
> http://shop3.frys.com/product/5528610?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

> a 1TB drive for under $200 ????my first 10 Mb drive was way more than that!!!!

	About 6 months ago I was shopping for some drives at Best Buy (I know,
I know)...  One helpful sales clerk pointed me at some clearance drives.
These were some 750Gig external USB drives (I think 7200 RPM) they were
unloading for about $70.  I think they were making way for the next
generation enclosures that included both firewire and USB and maybe some
other toots and whistles.

	IAC...  I got a 3TB drive array (four of them) for about $300 including
tax.  They're sitting here running quite content, dwarfing the little 5W
Fit-PC that's acting as the file server for them.

	Watch them clearance sales.

	Mike