[ale] Touchpad in Lenny KDE

Jim Moore d2ove4deb at bellsouth.net
Tue May 27 09:48:57 EDT 2008

Brian Pitts wrote:
> Jim Moore wrote:
>
>> Just re-sized my linux partition and installed Debian Lenny KDE.  Have
>> been running Etch with Gnome for months now but thought I'd give KDE a
>> try.   The install went flawlessly and getting wireless up and running
>> only required copying the intel files into /lib/firmware, doing a
>> restart and boom I was up and running.
>> I can't find a way to control the touchpad.  I can move the cursor but
>> scrolling doesn't work and the sensitivity is way too high.
>> If I go to the control center there's no entry for the touchpad in the
>> peripherals section, though there is an entry for a mouse.
>> Have done some searching and not really found anything that worked.  Did
>> try adding tproc/bus/inputhe following to the xorg.conf folder:
>>       Section "InputDevice"
>>     Identifier    "Synaptics Touchpad"
>>

> Have you looked in /proc/bus/input/devices to see what kind of touchpad
> you have and /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see how X detects it?
>
> -Brian

/proc/bus/input/devices   shows as final entry:I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002
Product=0007 Version=23b3
N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input7
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=mouse0 event7
B: EV=b
B: KEY=6420 0 70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=11000003

The Xorg.0.log  is several pages long so skipping to the very end I see:
(WW) Configured Mouse: No Device specified, looking for one...
(II) Configured Mouse: Setting Device option to "/dev/input/mice"
(--) Configured Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/mice"
(==) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "Auto"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Configured Mouse: always reports core events
(==) Configured Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 9
(**) Configured Mouse: Sensitivity: 1
(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) Generic Keyboard: always reports core events
(**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
(**) Generic Keyboard: Protocol: standard
(**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
(**) Generic Keyboard: XkbRules: "xorg"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
(**) Generic Keyboard: XkbModel: "pc104"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
(**) Generic Keyboard: XkbLayout: "us"
(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
(**) Generic Keyboard: CustomKeycodes disabled
(II) evaluating device (Generic Keyboard)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Generic Keyboard" (type:
KEYBOARD)
(II) evaluating device (Configured Mouse)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
(--) Configured Mouse: PnP-detected protocol: "ExplorerPS/2"
(II) Configured Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
(II) intel(0): fbc disabled on plane a
(II) intel(0): fbc disabled on plane a
(II) intel(0): fbc disabled on plane a
(II) intel(0): fbc disabled on plane a
(II) intel(0): EDID vendor "SEC", prod id 0
(II) intel(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
(II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0   65.00  1024 1048 1184 1344  768
771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz)
(II) intel(0): EDID vendor "SEC", prod id 0

Looks like touchpad is not gettiing loaded into the X server, but that's
just my guess.

Jim