[ale] Fedora 9

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Sun May 25 21:30:54 EDT 2008

Geoffrey wrote:
> Scott Castaline wrote:
>> Geoffrey wrote:

>>> That's weird.  I don't do kde, but in gnome you can drag the menu
>>> item from the menu to the toolbar.  Once it's there you can right
>>> click and view the properties.  That will show you what is actually
>>> being run.
>>>

>> I too use gnome, but it is no longer on my menu so I can't get that
>> info. I was trying to resolve an issue with my network, by default
>> NetworkManager is installed and somehow it was controlling my
>> interface creating a conflict with the regular network control. This
>> would cause my system to boot up without my nic turned on. So I
>> removed NetworkManager, as other people were complaining about the
>> samething, and I don't have wireless and I don't do DHCP.
>> Unfortunately I did not read far enough into the thread or the
>> warnings that came up that other things were being removed to include
>> the software updater package and the add/remove software utility. The
>> rest is history and attributable to OlTimerz Disease. Oh the fix I
>> found was:
>>
>> /sbin/chkconfig NetworkManager off
>> /sbin/chkconfig NetworkManagerDispatcher off
>> /sbin/chkconfig network on
>> /usr/sbin/system-config-network
>>

>> Had I read further down on the thread "*Fedora 9 network settings
>> wont save" *I wouldn't be in this pickle.*
>> *
>
> Is yum installed?
>
> If so, try:
>
> yum install pirut
Okay I guess I was wrong. I thought I had seen something in a thread
that suggested that pirut had been replaced. I was going to try your
suggestion earlier but I was working on another suggestion. It installed
gnome-packagekit which I thought I had already reinstalled. Thank you,
unfortunately I tend to sidetrack myself since the onset of Oldtimerz. :-[