[ale] Ubuntu forum Subject "Who else thinks 8.04 is a MAJOR dissapointment?"

Craig Button craigb.rn at gmail.com
Sun May 25 09:35:00 EDT 2008

THe trials and tribulations of getting linux to run was one of the draws
for us geeks.  I started playing with linux with one of the origional
slack ware distro's, now a whole generation of of users don't even have
a floppy drive on their computers.

I won't say it's a disapointment, but I was hoping for more.  For me it
turned into nothing more than a single way to get some of the updated
software packages.  I"ve been EXTREMLY lucky and all the distro's have
worked out of the box on my older laptop, including wifi.  I've spent
the weekend trying other distro's on an older PIII box with a PCI video
card and a whopping 512k of RAM and a 25 Gig hard drive.  At 3 am this
morning the 8.04 cd when back into the machine and it's happy again.
But then again, i use it for a mailbox and a typerwriter mostly.  No
fancy video stuff.  The only problem I have isn't a ubuntu problem it's
a linux problem and that is backing up my music and podcasts.

HAve a good holiday weekend and I look forward to meeting some of you
here soon.