[ale] file layout optimization

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Sun May 25 01:14:45 EDT 2008

I'm running a trial version of Ultimate Defrag for WinXP.  It is interesting that it will let you choose what files or directories are on the perimeter of the hard drive or on the inner part of the platters.  You can choose particular directories or files to be on the outer edge of the platter or grouped together for fast seek times.  Server disk layouts of frequently accessed files can be moved to the outer edge on a nightly basis.  Anyway, I haven't run across any kind of Linux based code for ext3fs that would do this type of function.  Has anyone heard of anything like this out there?
Thanks,
Dow

No sig.