[ale] VMWare ESX shared disk?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Thu May 22 22:25:50 EDT 2008

Yes.  In ESX, you establish "stores" and when you generate a new guest,
you can connect a new or existing store as sda, sdb, etc.  My
understanding of ESX rigs (I worked on one for over 3 months but didn't
get in as much "back end" esperience as I would have liked) is that if
you have more than one ESX server, you typically would establish a SAN
that the ESX servers would see and that's where your stores would live.

I'm not sure how locking works in that regime; I guess it's handled
within ESX as opposed to the underlying Linux instance.

- Jeff