[ale] kvm / virt-manager?

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Wed May 21 21:48:21 EDT 2008

On Wed, 21 May 2008, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> Yeah, I've done that but it can't load the disks from my vmware install.

There are several possible issues for you to deal with

- does your version of kvm support vmware disk images (newer qemu, and
therefore kvm, does; older doesn't)

- if it does, does it support the version vmware disk image you have?

- kvm and vmware emulate different hardware. Do you have the right HAL,
drivers, etc in your Windows VMWare image for the kvm hardware platform?

For the first two, vmware-vdiskmanager (from VMWare) and qemu-img (from
QEMU) may help. For the last one, good luck! ;-)

later,
chris