[ale] odd log message

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Tue May 20 00:22:33 EDT 2008

First, "co" is merely the identifier of the inittab line, and it is
the default on your system. Second, "co" is run when you boot to run
levels 2, 3, 4, or 5. Third, the specified program (fourth) will be
respawned when it either quits or crashes. Fourth, init will spawn the
agetty program[1] with the specified parameters.

It looks to me like agetty is supposed to spawn using the port on
/dev/xvc0, at 9600 baud, and using the vt100-nav terminal type.
Basically, a fancy way of running /bin/login.

Try commenting out that line in your inittab and replacing it with this one:

`co:2345:respawn:/bin/login`

and see what happens. I don't suggest this as a "fix," but as a way to
determine what could be wrong. I'm thinking maybe /dev/xvc0 doesn't
exist. But I don't know what creates that device node. If this
substitute line works, we at least know it is not the login program
failing.

[1] -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getty_%28Unix%29