[ale] 2nd try. First never made it. Looking for a simple method to generate Spanish language characters.

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon May 19 23:48:41 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 20:06 -0400, Jim Lynch wrote:
> OK, so how to I use the us-internation keyboard layout?  Reinstall and
> select something else for my keyboard other than 104 key US?

No re-installation required.  Assuming that you're using GNOME, just go
to System->Preferences->Keyboard, then click the Layouts tab.  You can
then add the US International keyboard layout (I use "USA International
(with dead keys)" for my layout), and delete the old one if you want.
You can also have multiple layouts configured, and add the keyboard
layout applet to a panel.  This way, you can click the layout panel to
switch your keyboard layout quickly, and you can also set up a keyboard
combination that will do the same thing for you using that applet.

One thing:  I tend to disable the "Separate layout for each window"
option, as I find it confusing.  I don't like having my keyboard switch
layouts for me based on the window that I am in; I'd rather toggle the
layout manually so that I can be 100% sure of what's going to happen
when I hit the keys.

	--- Mike

Michael B. Trausch                                   mike at trausch.us
home: 404-592-5746, 1                                 www.trausch.us