[ale] backup generator -- on the cheap

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Mon May 19 20:47:17 EDT 2008

> inexpensive generator set-up?  I've tried some kind of rental deal
> previously which didn't come remotely close to working.  Is the secret
> having a true AC->DC->AC converting UPS?

If you are doing this for a business, and have budget, don't skimp,
buy a propane powered 'computer/electronics' rated genset and
have good "always on" UPS's.

On a limited budget, I found that certain Tripp Lite models
are reasonably priced "Always On" units. Their current website
makes it hard to determine which ones, but I think what they
call "Line Interactive" are those units.

http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=3193
is a good starting place.

And while I'm sure they have gotten better, I've hurled
several rack mount APC UPS's from my back dock into the dumpster.
One was literally smoking, and had caused fire alarms to go off
when it cooked itself.

At home, I have a 1995 era 8U "Best" brand UPS on it's 3rd set of
batteries and a 5kw Propane genset. The "Best" is heavy,
and has outperformed and outlasted higher rated APC and Tripp Lite units
under outage conditions. Sometimes you get what you pay for and they last.

My travel trailer (here undergoing a roadside axle swap)
http://www.geeklabs.com/index.php?mode=album&submode=display&dir=Personal/BurningMan2007&page=4&image=090-trailerrepairsaxle
runs on 2 deep cycle 12v batteries and a load sensitive 750watt digital
inverter and 2 solar panels. I've camped for weeks running 1 or two
laptops 6-12hrs day off of it. If I needed another high capacity
home UPS system, I'd consider doing the same for the house. ie: a
bank of large wet cells powering a good UPS.

My last comment: Power Supplies from PCPOWER.COM or other high quality
power supplies survive transients, UPS/LINE swapovers and brownouts
a lot better than average power supplies. I used to have a 500 watt AT
style one that weighed more than the rest of the large tower case server
it powered, and could survive a fast unplug/plug.

But nowdays, I seem to use laptops for just about everything but servers.