[ale] bittorrent issues with Bellsouth

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Fri May 16 13:13:24 EDT 2008

Geoffrey wrote:
> Well, it just happened again.  I fired up bittorrent, minutes later, I
> lost my network connectivity.

I've always chalked this up to poor hardware. Bittorrent can open a lot
of connections, and some routers can't keep track of them all.

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Modems_routers_that_are_known_to_have_problems_with_P2P

Common fixes for routers/modems freezing/crashing/etc

     * Updating the router firmware
     * Turning off the UPnP (in the client and in the router) and doing
manual port forwarding
     * Restricting the number of global connections to 200 or less (may
need to go below 100, depending on the router)
     * Turning off DHT
     * Lowering net.max_halfopen and bt.connect_speed
     * Putting the modem/router into bridge or gateway mode (doesn't
apply to modems that aren't routers)
     * Getting a new router/modem

-Brian