[ale] 2nd try. First never made it. Looking for a simple method to generate Spanish language characters.

Joshua Chase joshua.d.chase at gmail.com
Wed May 14 09:44:45 EDT 2008

I bounced the question off a buddy of mine, and he replied with:

Sure, on any full keyboard, make sure NumLock is on, then pres ALT+164
(hold down the ALT key, and while holding press 1,6,4) on the
dedicated number keypad. Doing it on the top set of numbers (the ones
above the letters) won't work.  Here's a short list of all the accents
and special characters:

á = alt+160
é = alt+130
í = alt+ 161
ó = alt+ 162
ú = alt + 163
ñ =alt + 164
Ñ = alt + 165
¡ = alt + 173
¿ = alt + 168
ü = alt + 129

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Josh

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 7:23 AM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have to run out the door to catch a plane right now or I would
> research it more. But if I remember correctly, you want to map a meta
> key and use it like a shift key. I think Meta + u will give you an
> umlat over the next character (etc.).
>
> xmodmap -e "keysym Alt_L = Meta_L Alt_L"
>
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 6:42 AM, Jim Lynch
> <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:
> > I need to generate a few documents in Spanish and am trying to figure
> > out how to generate the accented characters and the eñe character
> > without cutting and pasting.  It would be nice to have popup window for
> > some app like OpenOffice that I could just mouse click without going
> > through multiple keystrokes or window clicks to access.  Something that
> > might stay on top, out of the way.   Barring that, perhaps something
> > that would help me reconfigure the keyboard (easily) to send the
> > accented characters with an ALT-<letter> or something similar.
> > I could always write them out longhand, but then I'd really like for
> > someone to be able to read them and that wouldn't happen considering my
> > handwriting.  :)
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.  Barring that, is there a Spanish speaker
> > with a decent keyboard listening that would do some translations?  I
> > sponsor some kids in Latin America and if I send them letters in
> > English, they have to pay for a translator.
> > Thanks,
> > Jim.

> James Sumners
> http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/
>
> "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts
> pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it
> is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become
> drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
>
> Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
> CH:D 59

Joshua Chase
GMT - 5:00
http://www.linuxcrypt.net