[ale] OT: Know any elderly-Mac wizards?*

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Wed May 14 09:30:20 EDT 2008

ALErs -

Thanks again to all for their help, especially Mike Warfield and Greg
Canter.

On Tue, 13 May 2008, John Mills wrote:

>> Well, it looks like MS has already figured this out !
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264614

> ... the Microsoft tip
> worked for getting the address book [fairly] painlessly into Thunderbird.

The tip basically says: use a spreadsheet to reform the tab-separated data
exported by OE into comma-separated form (*.csv), and use the mail
reader's import agent (they say 'Outlook', of course). The slightly
painful part was reordering the data fields while using Thunderbird's
import tool. (Maybe I should have done that part semi-manually, too,
culling the export down to a few fields and tailoring the order.)

Now Thunderbird's address book opens and finds entries just fine.

I couldn't find the MS reference when I wrote my reply. The link is:
  [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311129/en-us].

> I'll file a battle report when I've tried it.

Stay tuned.

  - Mills