[ale] dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Fri May 9 12:07:28 EDT 2008

Jeff Lightner wrote:
> Funny that.
>
> I've worked with literally dozens of other admins in various large
> environments and can only think of one admin off the top of my head that
> thought installing emacs was a worthwhile thing.  However, even that guy
> used vi most of the time.  His comments were more "theory" than
> "practice".  (He used emacs at college apparently.)
>
> Every request I've ever had to install emacs came from development
> teams.   However, since Mordac, The Preventer of Information Services,
> is my hero I've always refused.  :-)

If you're serious (and I suppose you probably aren't),
I think that is a very silly policy.

If you want your developers to be productive, you let
them use the tools they prefer, and make sure that the
code they produce ends up stored in a repository in a
non-dogmatic format so that everyone's tools can deal with
it.  Everyone where I work uses Eclipse for Java code.  That's
great for them, but I'm probably twice as productive with
Emacs, so I use Emacs.  (VisualAge was the only tool that
I ended up having to use because other people were using
it.  It had its own idiosyncratic "Look Ma, no files!"
way of storing Java code.  That was a hellish experience.
In general, the word "Visual" in a product name translates
for me into "Limited to a frustrating point-and-click
interface".  I'm sure many of you can sympathize.)

And yeah, there are limits to the "each to his own tools"
policy, but come on: *text editors* ???

Anyway, as a developer, I always install Emacs myself; who
needs sysadmins for that?

-- JK

--
I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov