[ale] OSPREX Follow-up - Computers for Youth

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue May 6 12:15:09 EDT 2008

Reggie Euser wrote:
> Seeing them in the news
> (http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro/stories/2008/05/03/computers.html)
> I just got curious whether any of the OSPREX gang has contacted the CFY
> group. Think they might be interested in including OS apps with their
> donated computers?

Do we know if the are or aren't doing this already? If they're not, it's
certainly worth suggesting. The organization that CFY assimilated, Tech
Corps GA, wasn't friendly to free software.

For anyone who hasn't heard about Computers for Youth: They're a New
York-based nonprofit whose goals are to improve the home learning
environment during children's middle school years through providing
computers, software, reduced-rate internet access, training, and tech
support. They seem well-organized and funded, so it's exciting to have
them operating in Atlanta. At the same time, I don't know how deeply
they encourage suggestions and volunteers from the community; their
volunteers page only mentions the opportunity to help their staff
conduct weekend trainings.

Perhaps someone from OSPREX, the Georgia Open Source Education
Foundation, UUCA's Computers for the Community, or whatever new groups
have sprung up since I last blinked could contact them and see if there
is the possibility for collaboration.

Information on their Atlanta office is available at
http://www.cfy.org/atlanta.php

-Brian