[ale] Datacenter on a truck

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Thu Jul 31 15:29:30 EDT 2008

That was udderly ridiculous...

________________________________

From: ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org] On Behalf Of Sid
Lane
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 2:59 PM
To: ale at ale.org
Subject: Re: [ale] Datacenter on a truck

when I worked for a cellular carrier in the 90s there emerged one of the
funnier acyronyms I've come across in my career:  the "COW", or
Cell(site) on Wheels, which was devised as a "quick strike" response
weapon against the wireless industry's archnemesis, the NIMBY, or "not
in my backyard!!!" (you know, those nice folk who complain when their
.6w handset drops a call but show up at zoning meetings w/torches &
pitchforks if you try to build a cellsite within 5 miles of their
house).

anyway, the advent of the "COW" led to all kinds of horrific puns to
describe legitimate, COW-related transactions:

the "cowboys" - engineers/techs who delivered/setup & worked on the
things
the "corral" - where the undeployed COWs were kept
the "cattle drive" - deploying multiple COWs for a special event (golf
tournament, 96 Olympics, etc).
the "moo-nine" - the capital request form (technically M00-9) regions
had to submit before buying COWs (ironically the M00-9 predated the COW
by several years)

and those are just the ones I remember...  :D