[ale] Suse Enterprise & RPM repositories

Thomas, Dave dthomas at tandbergtv.com
Fri Jul 25 15:18:03 EDT 2008

Hi all!

I'm new to Atlanta and am an old Linux hand, if there is such a thing.
This started with Redhat 4 circa 1996 working at a mom & pop ISP who got
eaten up by Interliant doing IRIX, some Linux and CGI scripts in C. Then
I was really interested when a college professor said "learn Windows and
they change it every 2-3 years, you have to learn it all over.  Learn
*nix and you have a career for life."  Started a consulting company at
21, worked for others as Linux admin, stopped doing that in '04 to do
Java full time.  In my free time, I did embedded linux in grad school
and consulting, bringing up an embedded board on 2.6, some light device
driver coding, before moving here from LA.  Now in my free time, I work
on my car, do yoga, and figure drawing in pastel and charcoal.

So I'm also new to SUSE, and my friend Bob Toxen said to drop a line
here and see if Dow Hurst might chime in.  My employer is moving Linux
distros to standardize on SUSE.  Not having used SUSE since early 2001,
I'm reeling by this mix of Zen, yast, and rug -- bundles, catalogs, etc.
Most of my experience has come from Gentoo and Redhat variants and know
yum and portage well.

Case in point: Dual-head X setup using an onboard Intel video.  I found
a forum post saying newer intel drivers would fix my problem.  I see I
currently have RandR 1.1 and 1.2 has worked for Intel cards of mine in
the past.

It seems Xorg 6.9 is the latest on the update site.  Googling around, I
see an FTP site ftp.suse.com and found /pub/suse/update/10.2 contains a
newer Xorg I'd like to try.  Telling yast to use it as a catalog doesn't
get me far since all the updates I try cause conflicts.

We are moving some production systems from openSUSE to Suse Enterprise
Server, so I'm reluctant to encourage openSUSE for desktops.  Would you
suggest using that as a catalog for updates?

I realize that SLED is a "stable" distribution so they'd rather backport
things like kernel updates to reduce the risk of breaking compatibility.
Does that make updating Xorg unrealistic?

RHEL and CentOS provide other update sites for users who need more
recent packages than are considered "stable" -- does this exist on SLED?

Thanks, looking forward to the next meeting :-)

Sorry for this corporate privacy signature ----------v

This communication is confidential and intended solely for the
addressee(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to you in
error, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission and
delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.

E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption,
interception, unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses, and we
only send and receive e-mails on the basis that we are not liable for
any such corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses or
any consequences thereof.

This email, its content and any attachments is PRIVATE AND
CONFIDENTIAL to TANDBERG Television, Part of the Ericsson Group.

www.tandbergtv.com