[ale] going OT - Working with photos (was) Extreme Practical Data Recovery (Part 2)

Ken Cochran kwc at theworld.com
Wed Jul 23 16:35:44 EDT 2008

>From: Robert Reese~ <ale at sixit.com>
>To: <ale at ale.org>
>Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 13:03:27 -0400
>Subject: [ale] going OT - Working with photos (was) Extreme Practical Data
>	Recovery (Part 2)
>
>Hi Paul,
>
>> I never ever delete photos from the camera until I have either
>> backed them up, or burned them to a CD. As a side not, I just LOVE
>> the way digikam JUST WORKS with my nice new Nikon D60 :) My NEXT
>> purchase will be a larger SATA drive.. with pictures coming in at
>> 2.5Mb it chews up space in a hurry!! For instance, this weekend at
>> our church youth conference at St. SImons island, I took 297
>> pictures, that totalled 725 Mb.. just a tad over what a normal CD
>> will burn...
>
>Consider forgetting shooting JPG and go just RAW.

RAW?  That'll *multiply* your storage space & post-processing
(computer & human time) requirements.  I won't say "don't do
it" but I would say "consider the features and costs of your
shooting options."  For examples, raw is proprietary, jpeg is a
published standard.  Raw requires special software to "decode"
& camera makers keep the internal format(s) proprietary (&
unless you spend some bux their software for such decoding is
usually rather crummy).  There tends to be religious/flamewar
discussion over such things as jpeg v raw but (as with computers
& software) it more boils down to using the "right" tool for
the job at hand.  I don't think I'd forego jpeg for raw in
any case.  {shrug}

>And for really getting the color right, look at a WhiBal
><http://www.rawworkflow.com/products/whibal/index.html >.  And for the RAW

Or better yet, an ExpoDisc.  :)  (But they're not cheap...)
I always used the Kodak card (18% grey on one side, 90% white
on the other) but I don't think it's available anymore {sigh}.
A grey (or white) card is nice but if you don't have one handy
there are other almost-as-good options (e.g. a clean white
sheet of paper).

>workflow take a look at BibbleLabs' software Bibble Lite or Bibble Pro.
>You'll never shoot your D60 the same way again!
>
>Cheers,
>Robert~

-kc