[ale] Printer selections

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 18:10:49 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 5:14 PM, JK <jknapka at kneuro.net> wrote:

> Jim Kinney wrote:
> >
> > You (almost) can't go wrong with Epson. They have great Linux/cups
> support.
>

> I went wrong with Epson.  Got a CX8400 on sale, but its photo output
> really, really sucks. Visible stripes on every print :-(  Text is OK,
> though. (Could using the wrong paper cause the striping issue?)

Possibly. If the paper feed is off, you get gaps and overprints in the head
travel direction. Stripes perpendicular to the head travel are usually  head
alignment issues and the calibration tools must be used.

I have found with ink jets that using the cheap paper will give crappy image
results. I've had good success with the Office Depot brand inkjet paper for
basic document printing. I've had great success with HP double-sided glossy
brochure paper in an HP printer (and a Brother color laser printer).

I've had good success with Kodak photo-paper in the HP printer as well. The
store-brand photo paper was streaky.

> -- JK
>
> --
> I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
>  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov

James P. Kinney III