[ale] Extreme Practical Data Recovery

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Thu Jul 17 15:55:47 EDT 2008

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> iirc, He talked about taking the better part of a month!!!
>
> again iirc, dd_rescue  (or ddrescue?) is smart enough to know what it
> already has, so each time it runs it goes after a different part of
> the drive.
>
> It also has the ability to go backwords etc., so it is far more robust
> than standard dd.

The good tool, at least in my experience, is GNU Ddrescue. It's packaged
in debian and derivatives as gddrescue. Use it to copy the hard drive,
then use a tool like Photorec [1] on the copy if you can't mount the
partitions [2] from it.

[0] http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html
[1] http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
[2] http://www.trekweb.com/~jasonb/articles/linux_loopback.shtml