[ale] open source solutions for Win 98 on an old laptop

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Thu Jul 17 13:24:01 EDT 2008

Amazingly enough, I found an old Ambicom PCMCIA 10BaseT ethernet card in
my basement last nite that I had for an old Sharp handheld PC (that will
be an entire weekend worth of Linux dabbling I'm sure), and the Win98
drivers were still available on the web and it works just fine.

Actually, with this thing working now, I'm tempted to make a study of it
before I wipe Win98 off of it: how long, even with Avast running on it
and using Opera as the browser, before it gets a virus or seriously
hacked?  Any suggestions for how to do such a study?  Would make a great
post to Slashdot: "Even with modern virus protection, Win98 PCs get
infected/cracked in X minutes." There was a recent post to Slashdot that
said that the average time an unpatched Windows PC took to get a virus
was 17 minutes, shorter than the time to download all the patches and
install them.

Daniel