[ale] open source solutions for Win 98 on an old laptop

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 09:00:21 EDT 2008

Brian wrote:
> Considering that I have have put it on machines with 32Mb and 64MB, I
> would make a stab at putting a rather sparse load of Debian on it.
<snipped>

+1 for Debian.  still have it running on my Compaq 133mhz 32mb laptop.
the windowmanager is the biggest hog, followed by OOo.

for old equipment (pretty much all i have) i use Debian, Slackware, or a
BSD (FreeBSD or NetBSD usually).

use Icewm, Fluxbox, Enlightenment ("new" E17 has loads of eyecandy),
FVWM, FVWM-Crystal, or XFCE (although it is getting a little "bloated"
now) as your window managers.

ditch OOo documents for Abiword.

also, here are a few distros to look at (either to run or for ideas):

DeLi Linux
http://delili.lens.hl-users.com/

Ubuntulite
http://ubuntulite.tuxfamily.org/