[ale] open source solutions for Win 98 on an old laptop

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Thu Jul 17 08:57:32 EDT 2008

Daniel Howard wrote:
> OK, I know this is going to lead to some interesting responses, but it's
> actually a serious question.  I've got a donated Toshiba Satellite Pro
> 225CDS (Pentium CPU, 80MB RAM, 1 GB HDD) I'm working with again because
> I have a needy person who would like to sell some of their stuff on
> eBay.  I can't seem to turn it into a thin client (no built in Ethernet,
> no CD ROM drive, only USB 1.1 and a floppy drive), and I've tried Puppy
> Linux and DSL (Damn Small Linux) on it with a variety of issues in both:
> Puppy can't launch X on the screen (and I've tried every combination of
> xorg.conf fixes I could find), and DSL is really slow on the Dillo web
> browser, word processor and spreadsheet (believe it or not, MS Office 97
> loads pretty fast and runs well on this machine), plus DSL also freezes
> up after a few hours of being left on.  As a stand alone machine for
> this person, I'm really tempted to leave it as a Win98 platform with an
> earlier version of Opera as web browser (say 6.0), and ClamAV and/or
> Avast antivirus, both of which still run in 98, and just put newer USB
> drivers on it so new USB memory sticks can be used.  The intended user
> is likely to use an ad-supported dialup service with their handful of
> free hours per month until she gets enough money to upgrade Internet
> access and/or the PC.  But this would be a start for her to get some
> revenue flowing, and you guys know I hate to toss one that could be put
> to use.
>
> With 80 MB RAM and only 1 GB HDD, any other suggestions of Linux
> versions to try on it?

Slack.  Slackware has never failed me when loading it on low end hardware.

> If I do leave it Win98, any other other open
> source or other recommendations to protect it (e.g., shutting down any
> specific TCP/IP ports, etc.)  I think if she could go to Google for
> gmail and eBay to sell stuff, as well as write letters for job
> interviews, and do spreadsheets for budget minding, it'd be very useful.

Security wise, you're screwed with win98, it's no longer supported by
Microsoft (July 2006).  I would expect that if you stick that puppy on
the internet, it will get infected and/or cracked.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin