[ale] Since we're on the subject of jobs lately

Sean McNealy sean.mcnealy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 19:17:12 EDT 2008

If you're interviewing with a big company you probably shouldn't worry about
what they'll pay you.  Especially for entry level, HR has some kind of
master formula.  I got out of college a bit over a year ago.  My job offers
were for the same amount of money wherever I chose.  It's either called
"signing bonus" or "moving expenses".  An offer in Georgia was 6% higher
than a Florida offer (there's 6% state income tax here).  Turned out the
decision was all about where to live and who to work for.

Just don't take the first offer you get without seeing another one.  But
don't be surprised if they're all the same.  The big companies know exactly
what you're worth (well with some risk factored in about you not being good
at all, but that goes away quickly if they're interested in keeping you).

-Sean